Post-Agreement Administrative Actions

Upon completion of all applicable visitor agreements, visitors who fall into either Category 2 or 3 must be entered into the University’s Oracle system using an appointment form. This step is a prerequisite for obtaining a University Visitor ID and other administrative actions that are available to the host department or school.  Please follow the guidance below that pertains to your situation.

Required and Optional Administrative Actions for Category 2 and 3 Visitors

Administrative Action Category 2 Visitors Category 3 Visitors
Appointment Form
University ID
Visa Documents1 1 1
Sponsored Email Account
Living Allowance Awards
Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement
: Required; ☐: Optional
1 This action is required for international visitors who are sponsored through the University’s Office of International Services. For domestic visitors, it will not be applicable

Required Administrative Actions

Appointment Form

Your host department or school is required to complete an appointment form for all Category 2 and 3 visitors. Appointment forms can be found on click on My Resources and scroll down to University Business Forms. The Forms Library will be located in the left column. Please note that only certain sections of the appointment form should be completed for Category 2 and 3 visitors. Instructions for completing the form are located on the Agreements and Forms section of this website. Once completed, the appointment form should be sent to Mr. Chuck Lyon.

Mr. Lyon will then conduct a quality control review and enter the information into PRISM. Once all information is entered into PRISM, it takes 24 hours for the information to appear in the University’s Central Directory Service (CDS). An employee record will be generated after the visitor's information appears in the University's CDS. All subsequent changes to the visitor's CDS record, including final termination, must be made using an employee record form, which should be sent to Mr. Lyon for processing.

Sponsored Email Account

Category 2 and 3 visitors must possess a sponsored e-mail account in order to access certain mandatory training systems such as the University’s sexual harassment training, and to satisfy OIS requirements for University sponsored J- visa holders. Sponsored email accounts will also allow for single sign-on capabilities within the University’s computing environment, which are necessary to access the aforementioned training. These accounts are for temporary use only and must be created by an RC administrator assigned to the host department or school.

Specific information about establishing a sponsored account, including contact information for all RC Administrators, can be found on the CSSD website. In order to avoid duplicate records in the University system, the host department or school should verify that the visitor’s information appears in the University’s CDS before authorizing their RC administrator to establish the sponsored email account. For security and compliance purposes, sponsored email accounts should be promptly terminated at the end of each visit.

University ID

Visitors will be eligible to receive a University Visitor ID card after the completed appointment form has been entered into PRISM and the information appears in the University’s CDS. Please note that it will take on average 2-5 working days from the time that an appointment form is received until an ID card can be generated. Factors that may extend this time frame include accuracy of appointment form information and volume from other University areas requesting University ID cards. Once the visitor arrives on campus, you should instruct him or her to visit a Panther Central ID center to obtain his/her ID after the host department or school verifies that the visitor’s information appears in the University’s CDS.

The University Visitor ID will allow broad access to most fitness facilities, University libraries, and other University buildings that allow for common access. If your department or school wishes to allow for greater access to approved laboratories, clinical space, or key card facilities, you will need to follow your internal procedures for granting this level of access.

Title IX Training

All Category 2 and 3 Academic Visitors are required to complete the University of Pittsburgh’s Title IX Training: Preventing Discrimination and Sexual Violence. There are two administrative actions that are necessary before an academic visitor can access the Title IX training. First, an appointment form for the academic visitor must be prepared and entered into Prism. Second, the academic visitor must possess a sponsored e-mail account. Please note that visitor sponsored email accounts are now mandatory because the new Title IX training system requires a Pitt email. Additional information on the Title IX Training is located at the University's Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

Conditional Administrative Actions

Visa Documents

If the University is sponsoring a visa for an international visitor, the Office of International Services (OIS) has procedures for different visa types that must be followed. Please work with OIS to complete the visa process. This does not apply to domestic visitors.

Payments to Academic Visitors

Host departments may at their discretion provide payments to academic visitors as part of their visit to the University. This section describes payment types and methods for paying academic visitors as well as tax considerations that may be applicable to such payments. In all cases, payments must be consistent with University policy and all applicable local, state and federal laws.

Living Allowance Awards
Living Allowance Awards may be provided to visitors under these Academic Visitor Guidelines, and are meant to cover daily living expenses such as room and board, health insurance, transportation (including Port Authority bus passes), and other incidental expenses. Living Allowance Award payments are generally considered gross income to the recipient, and are treated as taxable income unless a treaty or other exemption can be claimed. Internal sources of funds (i.e., non-sponsored research accounts) should be used to fund Living Allowance Awards under the Academic Visitor Guidelines. Please contact the Office of Trade Compliance for more information on this subject. Departments should use the Concur online expense management system to process Living Allowance Award payments. Concur payment instructions for non-employees are provided in the Travel and Expense Management Users Guide, starting on page 82.

Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement
Visitors can be reimbursed for travel and business expenses incurred as part of activities where there is a mutual benefit for both the visitor and the University. The University’s policies and procedures covering expense reimbursement must be followed when reimbursing these expenses. Please note that business expense reimbursements may be taxable income to the visitor. Departments should use the Concur online expense management system to process eligible travel and business expense reimbursement payments.

An honorarium is a payment provided to an individual in recognition of services rendered but for which no fee is legally or traditionally required. This payment is in addition to any other allowable payments set forth in this section and is at the sole discretion of the University through the department or school that wishes to provide it. Honorarium payments are generally considered gross income to the recipient and are tax reportable if the amount paid by the University exceeds $600 in a calendar year. In cases where an honorarium is provided to the visitor, the requesting school or department should use the Concur online expense management system to process the payment. More information on honoraria can be found on the PantherExpress webpage.

Other Administrative Actions


Visitors who receive a Living Allowance Award, honorarium or travel and business expense reimbursement payment(s) may be subject to federal, state and/or local taxes. For non-resident aliens (foreign nationals), a tax treaty may be available that would reduce or eliminate applicable taxes. PantherExpress provides information on their website addressing payments made to foreign nationals along with specific issues related to withholding, speaking engagements, and honorariums.

Other Important Information

Visitors who plan to provide a service to the University for which there is a defined statement of work, payment terms, and other legal obligations must do so through a Professional Services Agreement (PSA) or other approved University agreement (see the PantherExpress site for additional information). While performing these services, the visitor is subject to the terms of that agreement, and not the Academic Visitor Guidelines.

The US Department of State is responsible for approving travel visas for eligible foreign nationals visiting the United States. The University’s ability to provide payments to eligible foreign nationals is directly related to the type of visa granted. Please see the PantherExpress chart, which indicates eligible payments under different visa types.